OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
"Witter, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Witter, Jim
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:37:19 -0400
Hi folks,

Before I report the results of the Magee Marsh Bird Census, I wanted to
inform anyone planning a visit to Magee Marsh that the Sportsmen's
Migratory Bird Center will be closed on Friday, August 20 due to a
district-wide meeting. Please direct any questions or concerns to Scott
Butterworth, Wildlife Management Supervisor. He can be reached at
419-429-8360 or [log in to unmask]

Under sunny skies and cooler weather, the monthly bird count was
conducted on Tuesday, August 17 between 8:00 and 12:30 P.M. Naturalist
Mary Warren and I were assisted by Shane Roberts. Here is what we found
at Magee Marsh today:

Pied-billed grebe

Double-crested cormorant

Great blue heron

Green heron

Great egret

Trumpeter swan

Canada goose

Mallard

Blue-winged teal

Wood duck

Bald eagle

Killdeer

American woodcock

Solitary sandpiper

Herring gull

Ring-billed gull

Common tern

Caspian tern

Mourning dove

Yellow-billed cuckoo

Black-billed cuckoo

Chimney swift

Ruby-throated hummingbird

Belted kingfisher

Northern flicker

Downy woodpecker

Eastern kingbird

Eastern phoebe

Eastern wood-pewee

Tree swallow

Northern rough-winged swallow

Barn swallow

Purple martin

Blue jay

Black-capped chickadee

House wren

Carolina wren

Gray catbird

American robin

Blue-gray gnatcatcher

Cedar waxwing

European starling

Red-eyed vireo

Warbling vireo

Prothonotary warbler

Common yellowthroat

Bobolink

Red-winged blackbird

Common grackle

Brown-headed cowbird

Northern cardinal

Indigo bunting

Swamp sparrow

Song sparrow

American goldfinch

Jim Witter

Seasonal Naturalist, Magee Marsh Wildlife Area

419-898-0960, ext. 29