OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:29:14 -0400
Hi all,

The Hocking County Hide-A-Way Hills Mississippi Kites put on an incredible show today for the 60-some birders who made the 9 am till noon calling hours. There are definitely two free-flying juveniles, and both were well seen. It was great fun to watch the adults stuffing cicadas into them, and on one occasion, a Green Darner dragonfly, and once a large sphinx moth. This is a great nesting record of one of our most interesting raptors.

Thanks to Elizabeth vanBalen Delphia and her husband Michael for being such gracious hosts and making it possible for us to enter the resort. Ditto that to the management of Hide-A-Way Hills, who tolerated this odd invasion of birders with grace. And a final thanks to the birders who came, and were excellent ambassadors for birds to the many residents who stopped by and got an eyeful of kite and learned about these now-famous residents of their community.

I'll have photos and a story up sometime tonight on my blog - address in signature line below - but now must head to Chillicothe to lead, of all things, a singing insect walk.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/