OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:45:53 -0400
I stopped for an hour at this MetroPark southeast of Columbus this afternoon, checking on shorebird & waterfowl habitat, and hoping to snag a few migrants as well.  Teal Pond is down to its last few acres of water, and neighboring Arrowhead, Mallard, & Wood Duck marshes are dry.  Ellis Pond, on the other hand, is still quite wet, and actually has the best shorebird/wader habitat now.  Notables for the afternoon included:

Great Egrets - 15 total, with 10 of those at Ellis Pond

Waterfowl - mostly at Teal pond, which had Mallards, Shovelers, and Green-winged Teal.  Ellis Pond had mallards & teal, along with a single Pied-billed grebe.

Shorebirds - all at Ellis Pond's east end, which can be seen (barely) from the Wright Road parking area:  Kildeer (10), Greater yellowlegs (1), Lesser yellowlegs (4), Solitary Sandpiper (1), Pectoral Sandpiper (6), Semipalmated Sandpiper (5), Dunlin (3).  I could only see a portion of the flats, so the shorebird #s here could be higher.   Pity that there isn't a good place to view this large cove.

Landbird migrants - not much, although there were small flocks of Robins and waxwings along the Meadowlark Trail, and a flock of 10-15 Rough-winged Swallows were cruising over Ellis Pond.  Wood Duck picnic area had a few indigo Buntings and Palm Warblers, but little else.