OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:09:10 -0700
Here's the totals from Conneaut yesterday 8/31---12 shorebird spp.--black-bellied plover, 4 semipalmated plovers, killdeers, spotted sandpiper, 9 lesser yellowlegs, ruddy turnstone, red knot, 3 sanderlings, 6 semipalmated sandpipers, western sandpiper, 12 least sandpipers, 2 Baird's sandpipers.  Also seen were bald eagles, juv. laughing gull, great black-backed gull, 15 Caspian terns, Forster's tern, and 2 belted kingfishers.  I haven't been able post from the home computer lately, so here are some belated sightings......on 8/30, c. nighthawk, red-breasted nuthatch, and house wren in Poland Twp., Mahoning Co.  On 8/29, 2 c. nighthawks at the I-71/Rte. 36 interchange in Delaware Co.  I went to a boat race at Eastwood Lake in Dayton 8/27--8/29, and got some birding in at the fine metropark there.  Eastwood MP straddles a section of the Mad River also.  Birds encountered over the weekend included: wood duck, blue-winged teal, green-winged teal,
 double-crested cormorants, ad. bald eagle, 2 ospreys, Cooper's hawk, spotted sandpiper, ring-billed gulls, c. nighthawk, chimney swifts, ruby-throated hummingbird, belted kingfishers, great crested flycatcher, e. kingbirds, yellow-throated vireo, warbling vireos, red-eyed vireo, Carolina wren, 4 blue-gray gnatcatchers, wood thrush, gray catbirds, cedar waxwings, magnolia warblers, indigo buntings, and Baltimore oriole.  Craig Holt, Lowellville