OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:05:07 -0400
The Franklins' Gull (FRGU), apparently the same one found by Larry Gara, was still present last evening, 09/14, between about 7-7:30 until 8-8:30 pm.  When I arrived, the beach had only about 50 Ring-billed Gulls (RBGU) and no Franklin's Gull.  As I watched for a while, the RBGUs were flying in to the beach and back out to the lake.  Finally after no FRGU showed up on the beach, I started scanning the lake and looking over the gulls feeding out on the lake.

I finally found the Franklin's Gull with a telescope and found it using the following clues:

It was smaller than the RBGUs, with darker mantle and wings, very complete half hood, dainty looking head and quite small bill.  The FRGU stayed on the water and picked from the surface, while the RBGUs flew around and dipped down to the water.  Last year at East Fork SP, I noticed the same behavior when the FRGUs were not on the beach, and I found them out on the lake at East Fork SP, feeding from the surface while sitting on the water.

As I watched last night at Caesar Creek SP, a speed boat came by, causing the FRGU to fly north until it disappeared behind the trees to the north of the beach on the west side.  However, as it flew away I could see the very distinct and relatively broad white margin to the back edge of the wings.  It was also quite small relative to the RBGUs in flight.

After the FRGU was chased off by the boater, I noticed a kayaker out by the gulls.  He was feeding the gulls.  However, I did not see the FRGU return to this feeding flock of RBGUs.

I was just returning from the airport from a trip to Florida, Everglades NP, to successfully see and photograph the Cuban Peewee (4th or 5th North American documented record).

While in Florida at Flamingo in The Everglades, I had ample opportunity to study Laughing Gulls, in similar plumage to the Caesar Creek FRGU, and compare those Florida Laughing gulls to near by RBGUs in flight.  Even though the FRGU was far out on the lake at Caesar Creek last night, I am certain that it was a FRGU and not a Laughing Gull and probably the same FRGU reported by Larry Gara at closer range on the beach.

Good luck to anyone who trys to see the FRGU at Caesar Creek SP.  Remember to scan the lake if the FRGU is not on the beach.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH