OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:38:30 -0700
I went up to Conneaut harbor this morning and stayed from 7:00 until noon.  L. Erie water level ranged from low to very low, depending on wind direction/velocity and locally heavy downpours.  Lots of little sandbars and shallows along the shore of the spit.  The lagoon had varying amounts of mudflat exposed.  There was a nice little shorebird movement until around 10:40.  Highlights were: gadwall, Am. wigeon, 6 n. shovelers, pied-billed grebe, green heron, 2 juv. black-crowned night-herons, sora, 4 black-bellied plovers, 6 Am. golden-plovers, 5 semipalmated plovers, 15 killdeer, 8 lesser yellowlegs, 13 sanderlings, semipalmated sandpiper, 8 least sandpipers, Baird's sandpiper, 3 pectoral sandpipers, 2 stilt sandpipers, 2 Bonaparte's gulls, 4 great black-backed gulls, 2 Caspian terns, a flock of ~55 common terns, belted kingfisher, 4 purple martins, and tree swallows.  On the way back south on Rte. 7, I saw a group of 8 wild turkeys in Pierpont
 Twp.  In the afternoon I birded a couple hours at Mosquito L.  The bay visible from the pull-off along Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. (NW end of the lake) had shallow water and plenty of birds: Canada geese, a handsome but uncountable bar-headed goose, wood ducks, mallards, gadwall, 25 Am. wigeon, 10 n. shovelers, 20 blue-winged teal, 15 green-winged teal, 8 hooded mergansers, double-crested cormorant, great blue herons, 7 great egrets, bald eagle, Cooper's hawk, black-bellied plover, 3 lesser yellowlegs, tree swallows, gray catbird, and swamp sparrow.  Craig Holt, Lowellville