OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:19:17 -0400
I picked up OWU students and bird fans Sean Williams, Will Condit, and Sylvie Hundley this morning in Delaware and we drove the five minutes or so it takes to get out to the Meijer on RT. 36/37 east of Delaware. This is the area previously described by Sean Williams as "Snipe Marsh". Take the road that is beside the strip of stores and the Delaware Marine boat place on the corner and drive in behind the Kohls and Meijer. There is gravel parking lot on the right infront of a hill and some trails visible from the road. Park there and walk over the hill on the gravel path. Then leave the path and go down the hill towards the wetland complex before you. There is a central dyke that separates the open pods on the left from the marshy cattail and other wetland plant filled area on the right. This is sparrow heaven, there is a good mix of sparrow food plants in there amongst the Cattails. Walk the Dyke and listen for the chip notes and flight calls of sparrows. The best area is towards the north end of this marsh where there are some more grasses and shallow areas. This is where we all had wonderful looks at a Nelson's Sparrow who was so kind as to drop in over beside us, then perch up on a cattail head and look around. He started vocalizing and even gave a weak fall song. He stayed just about halfway up the cattails but was in perfect light. I got some nice pictures! It was great because out of the dozen or so Nelson's Sparrows I've seen, this is the first I've managed good digiscopes of. They can be viewed here in a public link to a facebook album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2013901&id=164901416&l=d64af0bb69
This area is open to the public with the only signs stating you should keep the area clean. It may be that this is a park for a new development. Try to be respectful of the birds and habitat if you go for this bird.
Highlights:
NELSON'S SPARROW - 2 were seen simultaneously though there could be more.
Marsh Wren
Bank Swallow - 2 birds on the late side
N. Rough-winged Swallow - 4
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Chimney Swift
Pied-billed Grebes - 3
Snipe
Savannah Sparrow - 8
Song Sparrow - 3
Sora - (when I was there last night)
Red-winged Blackbirds -100
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
Eastern Bluebirds
Common Yellowthroat
Carolina Wren
Solitary Sandpiper- 2
Wilson's Snipe - 1 ; I guess the name "Snipe Marsh" is fitting.
Good Birding,
-Ben Warner