OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
"Witter, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Witter, Jim
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:24:46 -0400
Hi folks,

Sorry for the late post, but the monthly bird count at Magee Marsh
occurred on Tuesday, Sept. 22. 68 species were recorded. We have been
getting reports of decent activity at the boardwalk. Also, some
shorebird habitat has appeared in the marsh, along the west side of the
park road near the second gravel pull-off going towards the lake. The
habitat attracted lesser yellowlegs, a single black-bellied plover, a
snipe, and a couple pectorals. As a reminder, the park road will be
closed at the entrance to the Sportsmen's Migratory Bird Center starting
October 12. The road will be closed Monday-Friday and Saturday mornings
through November. Here is the comprehensive list:

Canada goose

Trumpeter swan

Wood duck

Mallard

Blue-winged teal

Pied-billed grebe

Double-crested cormorant

Great blue heron

Great egret

Bald eagle

Cooper's hawk

Sora

Black-bellied plover

Killdeer

Lesser yellowlegs

Pectoral sandpiper

Wilson's snipe

Ring-billed gull

Mourning dove

Yellow-billed cuckoo

Red-bellied woodpecker

Downy woodpecker

Northern flicker

Eastern wood-pewee

Eastern phoebe

Warbling vireo

Philadelphia vireo

Red-eyed vireo

Blue jay

Tree swallow

Black-capped chickadee

Red-breasted nuthatch

White-breasted nuthatch

Winter wren

Golden-crowned kinglet

Ruby-crowned kinglet

Gray-cheeked thrush

Swainson's thrush

American robin

Gray catbird

Brown thrasher

European starling

Cedar waxwing

Nashville warbler

Magnolia warbler

Cape May warbler

Black-throated blue warbler

Yellow-rumped warbler

Black-throated green warbler

Blackburnian warbler

Bay-breasted warbler

Blackpoll warbler

Black-and-white warbler

American redstart

Ovenbird

N. waterthrush

Common yellowthroat

Song sparrow

Swamp sparrow

White-throated sparrow

Northern cardinal

Rose-breasted grosbeak

Bobolink

Red-winged blackbird

Common grackle

House finch

American goldfinch

House sparrow

Jim Witter

Seasonal Naturalist, Magee Marsh Wildlife Area

419-898-0960, ext. 29