OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:46:05 -0700
Interesting topic here.  I too am guilty of "suppression", including but not limited to, for my own selfish reasons (I had a rare finch visit my feeders a couple years ago and invited a few friends but did not want to be deluged with visitors).  Sharing is a wonderful part of birding of course and generally speaking I think it is a good thing.  But I don't know that there is a bad or wrong reason for suppressing a sighting.  If the individual feels there IS a reason, then so be it.  I know chasers/listers will get ticked at these instances, and I have been on that side of the fence as well.

Frankly, listing ain't what it used to be.  Nowadays, usually the only thing a long list says is that you have the means and the time to drive around the state and look at a bird someone else found.  I often grouse about this....for example, why would I feel the need to drive 3+ hours to see Roseate Spoonbills in Ohio, a species I have seen often?  Well, if the reason is because I like spoonbills and think they're cool birds, well that's a good reason.  The idea to expend so much energy and resource for a checkmark seems a bit outdated to me.  Green Violetear in MI?  Well, unless it's down the street from my house, no thanks.  If it were a life bird or if I loved violetears, then I'd probably go.

I'm not judging anyone for chasing or listing; I sometimes wonder - do others feel as I do, that the personal reward of discovery is much more gratifying than pulling up to a pre-destined location and looking at a bird someone else found?  Like Bill says, nothing wrong with following - but understanding habitat preference, seasonality, behavior and tendencies of species is information that is readily available and goes a long way to being able to enjoy discovery of your "own" birds.

Sure I mostly trust birders.  I just think we'd benefit as a whole if more people did their own thing (and still shared the sightings).

Greg Links
Somewhere Near Toledo