OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:11:04 -0400
Thanks for your thoughtful posting, Greg.  And yes, my husband and I
feel very much as you describe:
". . .the personal reward of discovery is much more gratifying than
pulling up to a pre-destined location and looking at a bird someone
else found."  In that way, we especially have enjoyed participating in
the winter bird and breeding bird atlases in recent years, because it
enhanced our knowledge both of the areas in our locale that birds use
and provided surprises in birds that we didn't expect to see that
day.  I've also learned a lot when we've birded a particular site over
and over in the course of a season or year--surprises abound.

It has led us to a deeper understanding of the links between birds and
their niches.  For instance, we've been amazed at the numbers of cedar
waxwings we've watched for a few weeks now eating cherries and hawking
for insects at a local undeveloped park, or the number of sparrows
using the large weedy patch during migration.

And yes, we would withhold a good siting if we think the area couldn't
withstand the onslaught of birders.  Too many times we've witnessed
birders going beyond the requested bounds to get that picture or
sighting.  If we were guaranteed to see the birds we hoped to see,
birding would lose much of its fun!

Helen Ostermiller