OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 09:20:09 -0400
At 8:55 a dark immature long-tailed jaeger passed by my house heading west.
Since it and everything else is heading into the wind it is not moving too
fast.  It was about 150-200 yards offshore.  It was dwarfed by the
ring-billed and herring gulls in the area.  There are as many birds moving
here today as yesterday.  Yesterday they were heading east, today west.

Personally I think there may be a few jaegers in the area.  The one Jen saw
yesterday had to go about 60 miles in an hour and a half to make it to
Conneaut.  I think Jerry's bird was different and the way it sounds, and
Craig's Conneaut bird was different yet.  It may pay to watch the lake for
the next few days.  It seems a lot of times jaegers tend to hang around.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751