OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 08:46:59 -0700
I think John Pogacnik's post this morning is right on target.  There have been at least 3 and possibly 4 LT jaegers seen along the NE lakefront the last 2 days.  I saw a couple of Jerry's photos of the bird he saw at Conneaut when we were there yesterday.  He was up on the high bluff parking lot of the township park adjacent to the harbor.  The photos weren't magazine cover material, but they certainly showed an adult-type bird.  With the conditions yesterday, it was a great job by Jerry to get those photos.  When he was observing that jaeger, I was down at the spit looking northeast into the harbor.  The jaeger I saw flying in the harbor was definitely a young bird with the white underwing flashes.  The timing of our 2 sightings was similar but I'm not sure how close exactly.  Anyways the jaeger I saw had no blackish cap either, and it's coloration overall reminded me of a nighthawk.  Jen's bird was a darker youngster, which may or may not be
 the one John saw this morning.   So that adds up to at least 3 LT jaegers seen.  How many passed unseen I wonder........Craig Holt, Lowellville