OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:14:27 -0400
Herrick Fen is on Seasons Road in Portage County.

Much to my delight there was a newly fledged MARSH WREN begging for food and
being fed by a parent this morning. From the boardwalk they were less than
20 meters down and were 10 meters or less out (on the south side).

At first I though it must be a sedge wren as have had them there before,
however:

chunky body
darker overall
rufous tail with black barring
black barring on wings
black cap (sort of hard to see on photo due to so much fluffy down)
no streaking on rump

Of course have photos of young only. Saw adult very clearly and compared
photos with those taken of sedge and marsh wrens earlier this year (marsh
was out of state).

Renee