OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:46:17 -0400
Today there was decent movement of warblers and other migrants around the park, not huge numbers, but enough to make things interesting. Mostly singles of each species but had multiples of some species of warbler. It was good times and I had really good looks at a lot of them.

Speaking of Warblers, this Saturday morning (the 11th) at 8:00 am,  I'd love it if any of you would like to join me as I head out on the trails of Blacklick Woods Metro Park to observe resident and migrant birds. We will be meeting at the Nature Center and before we head out I'd like to go over some tips and tricks for identifying the good old "confusing fall Warblers". Hopefully we can make things a little less confusing, especially since many of them look the same both spring and fall. That part won't take too long as I'd like to get out there and try and find out what species are using our stop-over habitat as they migrate south. All levels of skill are welcome and we even have loaner binoculars if you need to borrow them, but any of you more experienced types are very welcome to help spot birds for the group. We'll head out rain or shine (within reason) and it should be a productive walk. Other resident birds have been putting on a good show, our celebrity Barred Owl caught a Short-tailed Shrew today and swallowed it whole in front of several onlookers. Pretty awesome. No need to register or anything, its a public program and we'll begin at 8:00am at Blacklick Woods Metro Park Nature Center, and we will hit the trails for a couple hours, but feel free to come and go whenever.
BLACKLICK WOODS
6975 E. Livingston Ave.
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
www.metroparks.net