OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:32:10 -0400
Hello Ohio Birders,

    Members of the Ohio Ornithological Society, who have email addresses on
file with OOS Membership Coordinator Barb Fate, did receive a message
yesterday (or will get an email message today). See the bottom of this
message for Barb’s email. Yes, the email was legit: no, a hacker did not
contact you. Thanks Tom, and others, who assisted the Neubauers with their
concerns.

     In case you “are” a current OOS member but have not provided us with
your email, or are “not” an OOS member, the email message from Barb Fate
covered three topics.

1.)The Sixth Annual OOS Conference will be held October 8-10, 2010 in
Eastlake (Cleveland area). Join us at Lake Erie to learn about and explore
fall migration and the rare birds of the Cleveland area. We have a great
line-up of speakers plus field trips and Lake Erie pelagic trips on Saturday
and Sunday. Some of the field trip locations (Dike 14 and pelagic options)
have limited space: see the OOS website for registration details:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/annual_meeting/meeting.php

Our FRIDAY NIGHT KEYNOTE SPEAKER IS FAMED LARRY ROSCHE: he’s a true Ohio
birding hero! Named the “Naturalist of the Year” in 2007 by the Ohio
Biological Service, Larry updated the book “Birds of the Cleveland Region”
in 2004, co-authored the book “Dragonflies and Damselflies of Northeast
Ohio” in 2004 with Judy Semroc, has been Houghton Mifflin’s mapmaker for 15
years (Peterson Field Guides) as well as reviewing maps for National
Geographic’s “Birds of North America” and “The Sibley Guide to Birds”.
Larry will present an overview of the diversity of birds found in NE Ohio
throughout the year in his keynote talk on October 8th.

OUR SATURDAY NIGHT SPEAKER IS DREW WHEELAN, ABA GULF COAST COORDINATOR.
Birders across the US, and around the world, have been following Drew’s blog
on the ABA website (http://birding.typepad.com/gulf/). Drew worked as a
fisheries biologist after the 1996 North Cape Oil Spill off Rhode Island and
has experience as a commercial fisherman. His love of birds, his skill with
the written word, and his talent as a videographer make Drew uniquely
qualified to document the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. At
the OOS conference, you’ll have the opportunity to meet him and thank him in
person for his dedication to reporting from the Gulf. Join OOS Saturday
night, Saturday 9th, for Drew’s personal insight into the plight of local
and migratory birds in the aftermath of the oil spill, the multitude of
frustrations related to the ongoing environmental assault, and stories of
heroic people fighting to protect all species involved. ABA has a special
Gulf Coast fund donating 95% of monies to organizations monitoring effected
bird populations, clean-up efforts, and local research projects:
https://www.aba.org/donate/gulf.php

2.)Guatemala: November 7-16, 2010 with OOS. There are still a few spaces
remaining for the fall tour of Guatemala. Register by Saturday, September 4,
and get a free OOS tee-shirt or OOS hat to wear on the trip.

Guatemala has one of the most amazing diversity of birds in the world: more
than 700 exotic, rare, endemic, and migratory species can be found within
seven eco-regions.  This 9-day adventure is ALL-inclusive (except for your
own personal flight/transportation between the US/Guatemala): 9-nights
lodging, 9-days food, 9-days guide services, applicable entry fees, and MORE
including air fare within Guatemala to and from TIKAL NATIONAL PARK!

Mary Elizabeth Huey of Cincinnati remarked: “Our March 2010 trip was
outstanding. This is a wonderful trip with a first class guide – Hugo
Haraldo Enriquez Toledo. Yes, the birds are incredible, but there is more –
orchids, volcanoes, monkeys, gardens, art. Antiqua is a beautiful colonial
city and Tikal was so much more fascinating than I expected”.

Jim McCormac blogged extensively about his experiences on the March
excursion to Guatemala. Here’s a link to one of his many blog entries about
his OOS/Guatemala adventure:
http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2010/03/guatemala-people-places-and-
things.html

Contact Ann Oliver ([log in to unmask]) for more information.
Registration documents are on the OOS website:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/society_events/current/Guatemala/index.php

3.)Newsletter Online: Go Green! You can get The Cerulean Newsletter
(quarterly publication of OOS) in an email version a few weeks before the
post office delivers the paper copies. Save a few trees in the process and
get advance notification of all events!
Already, one person made the switch. Many thanks to Jim McCarty for opting
for the online subscription and for his feedback on our publication. McCarty
said “fabulous Summer Cerulean… a first class newsletter”.

In Appreciation,

Ann Oliver
Cincinnati

Dear OOS Member,

 SUMMER CERULEAN
We would like to invite you to add your name to our Cerulean "green" list to
receive electronic copies of our quarterly newsletter.  Because of the time
it takes to copy and mail the newsletter, the electronic version will
typically be available two to three weeks before the paper copies can make
it to your mailbox.  We would like to thank you for helping us save trees
and reduce the cost of mailing paper copies.  You may access a copy of the
summer issue of the Cerulean on-line at:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/cerulean/10-07.pdf.  You may reply to
this email message to add your name.

 OUR SIXTH CONFERENCE AND ANNUAL MEETING
We would also like to invite you to registration for the Sixth Annual
Conference of the Ohio Ornithological Society, to be held the weekend of
October 8 through 10, 2010. It will be centered at the Radisson Hotel in
Eastlake, just east of Cleveland. Over the past six years, our conferences
have attracted like-minded folks to gather, learn about birds and natural
history, and have a great time. We invite you to join us near the shores of
Lake Erie to learn about and explore fall migration and the rare birds of
the Cleveland area, and get first hand details of the effects on our
migrating birds in the Gulf. We have a fantastic lineup of speakers,
workshops and field trips, including a Lake Erie Pelagic Tour! Come join the
fun and reunite with fellow birders and make new friends!   The registration
forms can be found at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/annual_meeting/meeting.php.  Hope to see
you there!

GUATEMALA FROM NOVEMBER 7-16, 2010
Please join OOS in Guatemala from November 7-16, 2010 for a "resplendent
adventure"! A few spaces are still available for the OOS trip. Sign-up by
this Saturday, September 4th and get a free OOS tee-shirt or OOS hat to
wear. Guatemala has one of the most amazing diversity of birds in the world:
more than 700 exotic, rare, endemic, and migratory species can be found
within seven eco-regions.  This 9-day adventure is ALL-inclusive (except for
your own personal flight/transportation between the US/Guatemala): 9-nights
lodging, 9-days food, 9-days guide services, applicable entry fees, and MORE
including air fare within Guatemala to and from TIKAL NATIONAL PARK! Please
contact Ann Oliver ([log in to unmask]) if you are interested in the OOS
Guatemala excursion! Details and registration materials on our OOS website:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/society_events/current/Guatemala/index.php

We value your continued support - Happy Birding!

Barbara Fate
Membership Coordinator
Ohio Ornithological Society
PO Box 14051