OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:02:09 -0400
Our group stopped to look for passerine migrants at Sheldon Marsh SNP,
having heard a lot passing over when we met at 530 am prior to leaving
Columbus. Migrants were aplenty at one spot at Sheldon with 13 warbler
species and many other passerines, but strangely absent elsewhere there.
Rich but very patchy. Next door at the C. Pt. Chaussee, we had
killdeers, l. yellowlegs, two m. godwits, a few
semipalmated/least/pectoral/stilt sp, sb&lb dowitcher; most birds were
wading, rather than sharing the northern mudflats with larids.
        By late morning Sandy Ridge Resn had few songbird migrants evident, but
was quite good for shorebirds, with good mudflats and shallows, with
both yellowlegs, killdeer, Am. golden and semip plovers,
semip/least/Baird's/pectoral sp, Wilson's snipe, & s-b dowitcher present
in the marsh east of the trail, all excellent looks but scope necessary.
Lorain was a bust in mid-afternoon, with four semip sps and four spp of
ducks.
        The Chaussee, with all its shortcomings, should be worth a visit for
those willing to walk out ~300 yds along the causeway before scanning
east. Sandy Ridge looks like it will be productive for a while as well.
Mid-day or afternoon light is best at both locations, where looking
around would best be undertaken after a morning in the woods.
Bill Whan
Columbus