OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:18:03 -0700
I went to Villa Angela/Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland this morning around 10:40am and stayed til 6:15pm.  I ran into Mark Anderson when I arrived and birded with him to 4:30, and Jeanne Hrenko from 12:30 to 3:30pm.  Most of the birds were seen in Villa Angela.  Mark and I didn't initially find many birds as we started further into the park.  "Donna & Jim" told us there were many birds near the lake but we had to look to find some of them.  They had a Blue-headed Vireo which we never found.  As the day progressed Jeanne and then we kept finding pockets in the same place (near the large sand pile near the lake which is closer to the west end of Villa Angela). The birds would disappear and then re-appear. After 3:30pm Mark found just sitting on the log and waiting for them proved just as beneficial as we were tired.  Then they all started flying back and forth between the trees and the quantities quickly increased, saw the
 Blackburnians & RB Nuthatches and everything was hard to keep track of.  While we found a few more species of warblers it was the quantities that were impressive.  It looked like it was going to rain at one point in the afternoon and they were all feeding on the bugs.  It did lightly rain at 5pm which was good.  I found many across the road in in Wildwood just south of the bridge but by the time I left after 6pm there were still many warblers near the lake in Villa Angela.  Many were in the trees just above the beach.  Here is a list of the birds we saw:

Double-crested Cormorant 3 (1 juv still fishing in Euclid Creek)
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Hairy Woodpecker 1, Flicker 2
Eastern Wood Pewee 2
Least Flycatcher 2
Other Flycatchers 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
BC Chickadees - many, Titmouse 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Wood Thrush 1

Warblers: (16 species)

Nashville 5
Chestnut-sided 5
Magnolia 20+
Black-throated Blue 3
Yellow-rumped 1
Black-throated Green  8
Blackburnian 2
Palm 1
Bay-breasted 2
Blackpoll 45+
Black-and-White 2
American Redstart 15+
Ovenbird 2
Common Yellowthroat 6
Wilson's 20-24
Canada 1

White-throated Sparrows 3

Butterflies:
Red Admiral 1
Black Swallowtail 1
Painted Lady 5 (not used to seeing this many)
Cabbage White - many dozens
Orange Sulphur (I believe) many
Monarchs - many many (not as many as 9/9)

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/