OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:19:51 -0400
Birding friends of ours from Columbiana County visited the Conneaut Sandspit on Friday. To anyone that has been to this birding hotspot, you will either be amused, or angry, at their message to us. The following is the message: {Conneaut was great today --- We watched two Whimbrels for a couple of hours, until the MORONS with three unleashed Jack Russell's showed up ..... the unruly dogs chasing all the birds in the water, and their ignorant owners yelling to, and screaming at them, "C'mon Guys, Stay Close!!!", at which point, we left, and came back about an hour later. We did get to see the Whimbrels come back and do a flyover, but then they decided not to land, and headed out towards Lake Erie!}  They said it was a relatively slow day, but they did record some nice birds. They recorded nine species of shorebirds. Here are some of the birding highlights: Northern Shoveler (15+), Black-bellied Plover (2), American Golden-Plover (2), Baird's Sandpiper (2), Lesser Black-backed Gull (1), and American Pipit (3). Conneaut; Always an adventure!!!
Bob and Denise Lane/Damascus