OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:46:13 -0400
I have to echo Hans Clebsch's comments about the strange weather  We were
visiting my mother in Lorain today and on the way home decided to check out
Lorain Harbor (4:30-5:30pm).  It was the best i have seen it in a long time.
There were several thousand gulls there.  Conditions were absolutely
terrible with gale force northeast winds and heavy rain.  You needed to turn
your car to either look out the windshield or so you could look out the west
side.  At the muni pier at the end of Oberlin Avenue there was a juvenile
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE and an adult lesser black-backed gull.  On the pier
just west of the river mouth an immature SABINE'S GULL was flying in the
slip west of the pier.  West of the pier on the river there was an adult
LITTLE GULL.  A RED PHALAROPE was sitting amongst a group of Bonaparte's and
ring-billed gulls on the pier.  Also present were three dunlin.  At the
impoundment there were 4 adult lesser black-backed gulls and 3 HUDSONIAN
GODWITS.  They were not in the impoundment, but just west of it where the
new lot it.  The heavy rain has resulted in a lot of standing water there.
Water in the impoundment seemed high.  There were ruddy ducks, blue and
green-winged teal and pintail in it.   I did not get out because of the
terrible weather and I didn't want to scare up the gulls.  Once heading
home, as you got east out of Lorain County  the rain stopped and the winds
died down quite a bit.  At home here in Lake County, the roads are dry and
the winds are not bad at all.  To get an idea of this odd weather, check out
the Cleveland radar.

In addition to what I mentioned above here is what else was there:
double-crested cormorant (320), Bonaparte's gull (850), ring-billed gull
(8,000+), herring gull (350), great black-backed gull (24), common tern
(70), Forster's tern (6), and Caspian tern (1)

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751