OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Linda Sekura <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:33:25 EDT
Following Kenn Kaufman's post, found 3 other birders at the mud flats
around 3pm, just before the rains started coming in.  Jim McDonald from Ann
Arbor and a couple from Rocky River helped educate me.

- Mostly dunlins, black-bellied plovers, sanderlings (+ many  ring-bills &
some Bonapartes)
- 2-3 marbled godwits
- 1 greater and 2 lesser yellowlegs
- 4 green-winged teal
- 1 immature eagle
- Jim saw a least sandpiper
- Geese, great egrets, no red knots seen

On the way in and out:
- Garter snake
- Green frog
- Woolybears !
- Meadowhawk - according to Larry Rosche's calendar, must be an  autumn
- 1.5" diameter partial snake carcass
- Golden-crowned kinglets (Jim saw)
- 5-6 Blue-winged teal, a few mallards

Quick Magee Marsh entrance stop on the way home:  Rusties,  starlings,
redwings congregating.

Beautiful colors all around - the fading water plants, grasses, old crops -
 even the phragmites contributed its penance of bright orange-yellow.  The
great egrets were striking against the marsh colors and the dark  sky.
Forgot my camera.

Linda