OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:18:43 -0400
On Saturday afternoon, I found the two Nelson's (Sharp-tailed) Sparrows at Deer Creek WMA, southern wetlands, previously reported by Bob Royse, in the southern-most wetlands that are close to New Holland.  I went there in the afternoon, as recommended to avoid waterfowl hunters, but found a group of small game hunters (rabbit or pheasant?) near the middle entry point along Egypt Pike, where there is a parking area and a dike that can be walked on to get east of Egypt Pike.  These hunters were moving north toward Dick Road.  The Nelson's Sparrows were quite cooperative, once I found them, but that was probably because I was alone and being patient, by standing still once I found them and only making very quiet "pishing" and squeaking noises.  They first flew from the low grasses in the wet marsh and mucky area, and into the cattails.  By waiting patiently, they came out to investigate.  Thanks to Bob Royse for sharing information sent privately to me at my request.  Boots are recommended.  There is extensive sparrow habitat at Deer Creek WMA.  I also found Savannah, Swamp and Song Sparrows nearby and White-throated Sparrows in the deciduous woods on the way in to this area, and also of note, one Lesser Yellowlegs, four Least Sandpipers, a dozen or so American Coot and Killdeer.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, Ohio