OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:39:36 -0400
I arrived at Buckeye Quarry around 11am and the Black-bellied Whistling Duck followed the local yokels (the domestic mallards) over to the chainlink fence on the east side of the pond. The duck had apparently learned the local customs and was looking for a hand-out, but he was the edgiest of the bunch. Also with the band of waterfowl was an American Coot. The BBWD is a beautiful duck, and its only natural that it wasn't very skittish, this species is known to be naturally un-afraid of people. I got to closely examine and photograph the bird, it had no leg bands/rings and it also had its hind toe (hallux) intact which is sometimes removed on captive ducks. It even vocalized a bit before heading over to the northern shore of the pond (not a very big quarry) and started grazing along the shoreline. The photos can be viewed on my facebook album - follow the link at the end of this report.
I stopped by Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area on this lovely, yet windy, day on my way home and was rewarded for my efforts. The good spots were the embankment just south of 77 on the east side of CH-108 (shorebirds) and pond/embankment number 27 for waterfowl along CH 68. Its a little hard to see over the embankment along 108 but there were a lot of shorebirds out there on a muddy spit in the middle. The Dowitchers were  probably Long-billed because of structure and time of year, but hard to tell on those winter plumaged birds in the wind. No apparent juv. birds to make it easier. Later at the lake along 68, number 27 on the state map, I had the excitement of seeing a dozen Greater White-fronted Geese come flying in from the north and land right in front of me on the water. Great views of their speckle bellies. This was just after seeing a lone blue-phase Snow Goose with a few hundred Canada Geese out there and thinking to myself about a year or so ago when I saw Greater White-fronts along this same area. De ja vu. There were two immature GWFG's with them. Coolness.
 Here's a list of highlights from each spot:
CH-108
Dowitchers - 15

Baird's Sandpiper - 2
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2+
Least Sandpiper - 1
Dunlin - 10+
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10
Greater Yellowlegs - 50
Pectoral Sandpiper - 10
Wilson's Snipe - 4

Number 27
Snow Goose - 1 blue phase, good look at the grin patch etc
Greater White-fronted Goose - 12
Canada Goose - 300
Northern Pintail - 6
Gadwall - 6
Mallard - 50
American Wigeon - 4
Wood Duck - 12
American Coot - 200
Forster's Tern - 1 basic plumed bird.
Good Birding,
here is the photo link if you are interested, scroll to the last photos in the album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2019596&id=164901416&l=95d9fa44cc
- Ben Warner