OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:15:36 -0400
Yesterday my son and I went to the impoundment in Lorain and I, too, saw
large numbers of Chimney Swifts above the trees next to the lake and many
warblers feeding in the trees.  The target for all were the midges that are
hatching in huge numbers in the lake.

An interesting side story - I talked with someone who works for Avery
Dennison, the label manufacturer, and they REALLY hate the midges because
they can affect production of labels.  Think of hundreds of feet of sticky
material running through machines and midges flying around the plant!  It's
like the biggest fly paper you have ever seen.  AT times the numbers are so
great that they have to shut down production.  Maybe if they invited a few
hundred Chimney Swifts into the plant the problem would go away.

Matt Valencic
Chagrin Falls, OH