OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 17:52:19 -0700
I got to visit these three NE Ohio sites today and saw some good birds in the bad weather.  Started at Conneaut harbor, spent about 4 hours there and at the township park next door.  Of note were: green-winged teal, 4 greater scaup, flyby common loon, pied-billed grebe, 30 double-crested cormorants, 2 juv. black-crowned night-herons, bald eagle, Cooper's hawk, 3 black-bellied plovers, semipalmated plover, lesser yellowlegs, 14 sanderlings, least sandpiper, pectoral sandpiper, 35 dunlin, Bonaparte's gull, great black-backed gull, 2 Caspian terns, chimney swifts, n. flicker, brown creeper, golden-crowned kinglet, ruby-crowned kinglet, gray catbird, 10 yellow-rumped warblers, black-throated green warbler, palm warbler, chipping sparrows, swamp sparrow, white-throated sparrow, and dark-eyed junco.  Next I headed south down SR 7, in the Pierpont-Richmond Twp. area were 3 Am. kestrels.  At Pymatuning Res. I looked at the causeway and found lesser
 yellowlegs, chimney swifts, e. phoebe, tree swallows, and barn swallow.  I exited Ashtabula Co. and headed to Mosquito L. in Trumbull Co.  First (and only) stop there was at the pull-off along Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. where you view the shallow bay; this is just north of Mahan-Denman Rd. on the NW end of the lake.  The bay was crowded with 400+ puddle ducks, Canada geese, ring-billed gulls, herons, shorebirds, swallows, etc.  I spent of couple of hours in the afternoon scoping the area and found: wood ducks, 75 gadwall, Am. black ducks, mallards, 50 Am. wigeon, 20 n. shovelers, 75 green-winged teal, great blue herons, 3 bald eagles, killdeers, 2 greater yellowlegs, 10 lesser yellowlegs, a juv. HUDSONIAN GODWIT, 4 least sandpipers, 11 pectoral sandpipers, 2 dunlin, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, Wilson's snipe, Bonaparte's gulls, chimney swifts, 75 tree swallows, and swamp sparrow.  I had to get home then, so I only had drive-by look from the causeway and
 didn't check the south end of the lake at all.  Didn't get to search any of the Wildlife Area ponds either.  Craig Holt, Lowellville