OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Charlotte Mathena <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlotte Mathena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:18:06 -0700
At St Mary's Fish Hatchery on Oct 6, two Franklin's gulls were seen.
There were about 150 Ring-billed gulls, but the Franklin's were sitting fairly
close to the road which made for good viewing.

There was one large long pond drawn down in which the  conditions were good for
shorebirds--wet muddy bottom with multiple shallow puddles.  Yet, the only
shorebirds were 3 Dunlin, 2 Semipalmated plovers  and about 30 Killdeer.  There
was water being pumped back into this pond,  so I  imagine this good habitat
will be gone in a few days.  Many of the small ponds were drained and dried
out.  The other two long ponds were both  still full of water.

Charlotte Mathena