OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:04:46 -0400
I spent several hours looking for migrants at this reservoir northeast of Columbus this morning, starting at the dam area, then moving up to the far northern end (Plumb Rd access and EastSide Yacht Club access).  Water levels are extraordinarily low, with huge expanses of mudlfats at the northern end.  I skipped the boardwalk entirely, since it was so far from the water's edge!  Notables included:

Herons - 20+ Great Blues still scattered around the northern part, but no Egrets could be found.

Waterfowl - steadily filtering in, with Pied-billed Grebe and small flocks of Coots, Green-winged Teal, and Pintail, all around the northern end.  Geese numbers are also on the rise, with 400+ birds around the northern end of the reservoir.

Cormorants - possibly near peak for them, with over 120 in the northern reservoir.

Raptors - no Osprey or Eagles, but did have 40-50 Turkey Vultures scattered around the upper Reservoir, including a cool bird with white primaries.  The only other raptor of note was a calling Red-shouldered Hawk along the old Redbank Rd (EastSide Yacht Club).

Shorebirds - hard to find on the acres of mudflats, but the total included Kildeer (70+), American Golden Plover (1), Black-bellied Plover (5 - flock at Yacht Club flats), Greater Yellowlegs (1), Pectoral Sandpiper (4), Dunlin (20)

Larids - widespread flocks of Ring-bills totalled around 350 birds, and included 12+ Bonaparte's Gulls and 1 Forster's Tern (on the northern flats of the reservoir)

Chimney Swifts - still a flock of 20-25 swirling over the dam area

Larks,Pipits - they've moved in, with 6-8 of each scattered around the flats around the northern end of Hoover

Kinglets, Creepers - good numbers of both kinglet species, especially around the dam, while I found singles creepers at almost every stop, in lakeside trees.  I even had 1 singing along Wiese Rd.

Thrushes, Mimids - the only non-Robin thrushes were E.Bluebirds at several stops and a lurking Hermit Thrush along the Hoover Nature Trail.  Catbirds were sparse, with 4 along Wiese Rd the only high #

Warblers - Yellow-rumps everwhere, with 100+ on the morning.  Digging through them found Tennessees (1 at dam, 1 at Area F) and Cape Mays (1 at dam, 1 at Wiese Rd), but no Palm Warblers despite being in ideal habitat most of the morning.

Sparrows - Chipping, White-throated, and Song were widespread, but I also found 1 Swamp (Hoover Nature Trail), and several small flocks of White-crowned (Area E, Wiese Rd)

Blackbirds - small flocks of Redwings were flying south over the dam early, perhaps totaling 50 birds, while a few grackles were scattered over other parts of the reservoir.