OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:20:21 -0700
I checked out the Deer Creek Wildlife Area today.

The reservoir is still completely full. They haven't even begun to lower the level and there was no shroebird habitat. On the beach in the state park were :

1 Bonaparte's Gull
3 FRANKLIN'S GULLS
~300 Ring-billed Gulls
~15 Herring Gulls
~30 Killdeers
1 Spotted Sandpiper
~10 American Pipits

In the northern parts of the wildlife area sparrows were abundant wherever there was suitable habitat. Species noted included Field (many), Song (many), Swamp (less, but still plentiful), Lincoln's (several), Savannah (several), Vesper (several), White-crowned (many), White-throated (more localized, but plentiful in suitable habitat), D-e Junco (many). Yellow-rumped Warblers were abundant everywhere, but the only other warbler noted was a single Common Yellowthroat. Both KInglets and Brown Creepers were present in good numbers along the creek.

In the southern wetlands part of DCWA there was a good assortment of species. The northern tip of the wetlands along Dick Rd. was bone dry. Did anyone check it out last month? It must have been great for shorebirds. The middle 2 sections of the wetlands were mostly full, but some shorebirds were using the small muddy islands popping out. Shorebirds noted included :
~50 Killdeers
9 Gr. Yellowlegs
3 L. Yellowlegs
5 Least Sandpipers
1 Western Sandpiper
2 Pectoral Sandpipers
2 Dunlins
~15 Wilson's Snipes

Sparrows were also abundant in the wetlands. Species noted included :

Savannah (~100)
NELSON'S 2 or 3
Song (many)
Swamp (many)

Other notable birds seen in the wetlands included :
1 Am. Bittern
1 Marsh Wren
2 Sedge Wrens

I didn't encounter any LeConte's Sparrows, but I only put in a couple of miles in the wetlands (i.e. a tiny fraction of the suitable habitat there)

The DCWA map can be downloaded at the ODNR website.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5525 (20101012) __________