OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2010

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:10:34 -0400
On a weekend trip to the Sandy Ridge eagle's nest I had the privilege of
observing both adult eagles very actively tending to the nest (gathering
sticks both VERY big and very small).  It was about as active as I've ever
seen the nest---almost constant flyby activity at about 11am.  It certainly
made for some spectacular photo-opportunities with the bright fall foliage
serving as a backdrop!

Also seen were several Turkey Vultures, two Red Tailed Hawks, and the usual
resident birds in the lake and marsh areas.

I'm excited at the prospect of finding a Saw-Whet Owl at Headlands Beach
State Park, where, I understand, one was fairly easily spotted recently.  If
anyone on the list has insight on where exactly I might have the best luck
finding the Saw-Whet, could you please contact me off-list to share the
details?  (I've only been to the park once and don't really know the lay of
the land.)

Gratefully,
Noah