OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 18:34:40 -0500
I visited Cruiser Pond and the Groveport Blacklick Bikepath, then motored over to Pickerington Ponds, doing a bit of scouting for a Columbus Audubon trip this weekend.  Notables included

Shorebirds - still habitat at Ellis Pond in Pick Ponds, and it still held 6 Kildeer, 4 Dunlin, and 4 Snipe.  And I couldn't see all of the east bay, so there may be more.  Add in a Woodcock from Cruiser Pond and I had a 4 shorebird day.  In November.  In central Ohio!

Raptors - nothing unusual, but both spots held Cooper's and Red-tails, and the Arrowhead marsh area of Pick Ponds had a Kestrel.  No Eagles at Cruiser Pond yet.

Waterfowl - fair number of ducks at both Cruiser Pond (Mallards, Green-winged Teal, and Gadwall) and Ellis Pond (Mallard, BlackDuck, Shovelers, Bufflehead, Pied-billed Grebe).  Teal Pond has shrumk to a small pit, but it held Mallards and 2 Horned grebes.

Landbirds - loads of Robins and Starlings and Waxwings along the Blacklick bikepath where berrybushes still have lots of berries.  Pick Ponds was comparatively quiet, although there were White-crowned and Tree Sparrows at both the Meadowlark trail and Wood Duck Picnic areas.