OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:27:48 -0500
Bruce Simpson and I took advantage of having a free day and nice weather to visit the Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot County.  The Northern Shrike was cooperative as we located it on CH-71 between TH-108 and CH-115. We had good views of the shrike as it perched in the open on several bushes, trees and a utility wire. Later we located a Merlin on CH-77 near the intersection with TH-108. Almost all the waterfowl located was at the eastern end of Pond 27 on CH-68. Red-headed Woodpeckers were present at Pond 33 on CH-75. Common Snipe and Dunlin were at the little pond at the northeast corner of the intersection of TH-108 and CH-75.

Charlie Bombaci & Brice Simpson

The following are some of the species observed:
Pied-billed Grebe (7)
Great Blue Heron (6)
Tundra Swan (25)
Trumpeter Swan (5)