OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:12:37 -0500
Today on my way home from a work project in Cleveland, while traveling southeast on SR14 south of Ravenna in Portage County, I did a double take thinking I saw a late Great Egret. I immediately turned around and went back to investigate. The location was the northwest corner of Knapp Road (TR169) and SR14 at the far west end of West Branch Reservoir. After pulling over on the Knapp Road Bridge and checking out the white bird with binoculars; I found I was looking at a white plastic Flamingo a couple hundred feet off shore in the shallow water. This location has been noted in the past for good shorebirding and numerous egrets. Apparently some creative person decided to place this misleading creature, obviously from a boat, where from the road, without binoculars, looks like the real thing standing in the water! Has anyone recently thought they had a Great Egret here??? Are you sure???
Bob Lane / Damascus