OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:08:51 -0500
I had 1 Pine siskin flyover while birding near this town in far southern Franklin County.  This is rather far from the forested areas they favor, so their irruption may be starting to penetrate into central and southern Ohio now. Other birds of interest in the area included:

Starlings - several large (400-800 bird) feeding flocks.  Most of the large winter roosts developing now in Columbus come south of town to feed.

Brown Creepers - 1-2 at almost any stop with trees (which are not that widespread here).

Robins - lots of small flocks of 20-50 birds scattered along the honeysuckle wastelands that dot a lot of the landscape hereabouts.