OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:41:18 -0500
Hi y'all,

Earlier today Justus Nethero and I visited Delaware Reservoir at
Delaware Wildlife Area. At the intersection of Panhandle and
Leonardsburg Rd., an overlook of the reservoir allowed us to spot a
single female SURF SCOTER. I identified it by the very thick, almost
eider-like bill, and the two pale spots on the cheek- one near the
bill, and one behind and near the eye.

Later, while Justus was driving me to the airport to go home to Boston
for Thanksgiving, I saw a flock of geese fly over the road near the
Kroger facility (past Meijer) just east of Delaware on rt 36. I
noticed two tiny geese, and saw that they joined about 250 geese in a
field across from the Kroger facility, on the north side of 36. I
ordered that the car be turned around, and we took a look. We counted
a total of 9(!) CACKLING GEESE in the field with the Canadas. There
may have been more, since some were almost entirely obscured by small
rises in the field. As we were leaving (we were late for the
airport!), the geese took off, and landed in the field on the south
side of 36, in front of the Kroger facility. Some landed in a pond
behind the walls of the Kroger manufacturing complex, and were then
not visible from the road. The Cacklers were classic. Small, almost as
small as Mallards. Also, they had dusky brown breasts, unlike the
white-breasted Canadas.

Good birding,

Sean

--
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt