OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:40:08 -0500
An adult winter Pacific loon was seen just north and east of the lighthouse at the mouth of the Huron River.  It was on the water with group of 6 common loons feeding with group of ring- billed gulls.  It was slowly drifting east with the gull swarm.  I had another distant fly-by loon that also looked like a possible Pacific. It was too far to be sure.  There have been a few confirmed and possible Pacific loon reports this season.  Could there have been a small flight?  Check those loons.

I also had 2 purple sandpipers fly in.  They landed on the pier by the lighthouse and then flew to the pier east of the river.

Not a lot of gull activity.  Some Bonaparte's flying west.

John Pogacnik