OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 22:58:34 -0500
Hello Birders,

I suspect that virtually all readers of this listserve have heard about the
area of  Magee Marsh / Crane Creek / Ottawa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge here in
northwest Ohio. I suspect that the majority of you have been here at least
once, that you've made the trek to marvel at the spring migration spectacle
in this "warbler capital of the world."  You probably know that the stopover
habitat here is critically important to large numbers of migrating birds.
But you may not be aware of a new threat that is facing the area now.

There are now multiple proposals to build wind turbines for energy
production at points near the Lake Erie shoreline in northwest Ohio,
including some sites that are very close to the most important stopover
habitats.  While the production of "green" energy is an admirable goal, many
of us are disturbed by the prospect of turbines (even "mid-sized" or
"non-commercial" ones) right next to critical habitat for long-distance
migrants.  Three regional organizations have joined forces to circulate a
petition asking for a three-year moratorium on construction of any more wind
turbines within three miles of the Lake Erie shoreline in northwest Ohio.  I
would urge all readers of this listserve to consider signing this petition,
which can be accessed here:
  http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/924/482/794/

For more detailed information on this issue, here is a locally-oriented page
of facts and helpful links:
 http://www.bsbobird.org/wind_energy.htm

To provide basic background on the whole issue, written for people who don't
have any prior knowledge of bird migration or of the concentrations of
migrants in northwest Ohio, I wrote a fairly long essay which can be
accessed here:
http://nimsoh.blogspot.com/

Thanks for considering this.  Please sign the petition if you agree with the
points being presented there.  It might not seem important right now, but it
could make a big difference in your spring birding experience a few years
down the road.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio