OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:11:15 -0500
Hello Birders,

As reported earlier, there was a juvenile Sabine's Gull at Metzger Marsh,
Lucas Co., n.w. Ohio, this afternoon (Sunday Nov. 21).  I found it a little
before 3 pm, and it was still there about 5:15, as it was already starting
to get dark.  About ten people were able to get out and see it while I was
there.  The bird was spending most of its time resting on the water 100 -
200 yards offshore, just east of the fishing pier at the end of the road.  A
couple of times it flew far to the east along the shoreline, almost out of
sight, but then returned to the area close to the pier.  Several times it
flew in along the pier and then east along the shoreline, affording very
close looks.  Since the bird was there for an extended period this afternoon
and still present near nightfall, there's a chance that it will still be
around tomorrow.

Aside from the Sabine's, there were a few thousand Ring-billed and Herring
gulls, and a few hundred Bonaparte's Gulls, in the Metzger area.  A couple
of flocks of Tundra Swans came over headed east, and a few mergansers were
seen flying very far offshore.

Also this afternoon, Greg Links saw a Gyrfalcon not far from the Ohio state
line in southeast Michigan.  As reported on Rarebird.org, it was  "flying
straight south along the shoreline of Lake Erie, barely treetop level over
the warm water outflow at Consumer's Energy Power Plant at the end of Erie
Road in southern Monroe county, MI."  Greg reported that it kept going south
toward the state line.  It would be plausible for this bird to stick around
the general area for a while, since there is a lot of food available in the
form of large numbers of gulls and waterfowl.  We should watch for this bird
in n.w. Ohio, especially in the stretch between the Bayshore power plant
just east of Toledo and the area of Sandusky Bay.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio