OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:34:08 -0500
It was a chilly but worthwhile morning of raptor-ing at Sandy Ridge and
Elywood.  Although I had no luck finding a Harrier at SR, there were Red
Taileds in great abundance---at least seven over the course of the morning.
I also spent a while photographing near the Eagles' nest, where both adults
were present and performed some breathtaking aerobatics for me and other
passersby.  If I'm not mistaken, another sub-adult Bald Eagle was in the
area, though perhaps just flying through.  (It is possible that I mistook
one of the two resident adults for this bird---but it seems [in the
long-distance picture I took] to be more mottled in its underparts than the
two adults.)

I'm also happy to report that the Elywood Park Barred Owl nest (the "basket
nest") is still occupied.  I found one owl in the basket today; presumably
its mate was somewhere close by.  I must say, even with all the leaves gone
now, the branches seem to be more in-the-way this year than they were last
year.  After quite a bit of trial-and-error, I did, however, manage to find
one spot with a clear view of the nest and the owl.  If anyone would like
more info, email me off list; I can save you a lot of time.  (To be clear,
you can see the nest and the owl from several spots, but if you want to
scope or photograph the nest, it's hard to do so without a lot of branches
in the way.)

Best,
Noah