OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Steven Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:24:00 +0000
Greetings one and all!

Forgive the out of state report, but I had to share this picture with you all.

 I entrust that everyone had a great and Happy Thanksgiving.

I have been at my in-laws near Somerset, KY all week and plan to return home in the morning.  They live smack dab in the middle of Daniel Boon Nat. Forest in Whitley County. I looked for turkeys all day and couldn't find one!:-D(according to my father in law, the selective logging operation across the rd had prob. flushed them out of the area. SO I had to "settle" for 3 Pileated Woodpeckers waking me up this morning. Some sparrows, Juncos, and crows pretty much finished the day..but as the sun went down I was traveling south down 27 just short of Whitley City, and was just admiring the sunset and thought that I would share it with you:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/Sunset.jpg

that is a quarry pond in the foreground. What you can't see very well in that pic is the next to last bird sighting of the day:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/Merganser.jpg

A single Merganser.  I am going to call it a Common Merganser, the silhouette just doesn't look right for a Hooded.  I got a glimpse of it earlier and am pretty sure that it was a female (I am going to check in the morning just to be sure.)

Then to round out the day, as we were driving back into the forested hills on SR 1045, we were surprised by a Barred Owl zipping out of a tree heading for who knows where.

Spring, Summer, and Fall are awesome down here.  When I was here in July, I had Black and White, and Parula Warblers by the handful, just out the back door.  The Pileateds are down right annoying in the spring and summer..but everything quiets down when the Cooper's Hawks and Red-Tailed Hawks come swooping in!  I recommend the Cumberland Falls area for anyone heading down this way.  It is just amazing.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there that are part of the KY lists, please pass this report along I'll give better descriptions of the areas if they need them all they have to do is email me.

See you out there!

Steve Jones
(aka sjlarue)