OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Mark Gilsdorf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Gilsdorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:32:51 -0500
I spent the day hitting several spots in Highland County for waterbirds.
Things got off to a slow start at Rocky Fork State Park, with virtually no
ducks present. At Paint Creek State Park I found 1 Least Sandpiper and 1
Dunlin on the mudflats at Shoemaker Beach (getting on the late side for
both), along with a few more ducks and gulls. The Highland Stone gravel pits
seemed to be where most of the birds were congregating (several hundred of
which were too far out for me to I.D.). Highlight was 10 Snow Geese (7
white, 3 dark) on the south side of the pits. From there I drove over to
Cowan Lake, picking up two more Kestrels along the way, but not finding a
lot at either Cowan or Caesar Creek.

Rocky Fork SP: Mute Swan - 1, Mallard - 4, Horned Grebe – 3, Double-crested
Cormorant – 3, Great Blue Heron – 6, Black Vulture – 5, Cooper's Hawk – 1,
Red-tailed Hawk – 1, American Coot – 50, Killdeer – 15, Bonaparte's Gull –
1, Ring-billed Gull – 150, American Crow – 5, Song Sparrow – 2, Dark-eyed
Junco – 8, Northern Cardinal – 12, American Goldfinch – 10

Paint Creek SP: Gadwall – 4, Mallard – 4, Northern Pintail – 2, Lesser Scaup
– 8, Ruddy Duck – 1, American Coot – 5, Killdeer – 8, Least Sandpiper – 1,
Dunlin – 1, Bonaparte's Gull – 25, Ring-billed Gull – 15, American Tree
Sparrow – 1, Dark-eyed Junco – 18

Highland Stone Gravel Pits: Snow Goose – 10 (7 white morph, 3 dark morph),
Canada Goose – 200, Ring-necked Duck – 30, Lesser Scaup – 15, Ruddy Duck –
12, Turkey Vulture – 5, Northern Harrier – 1, Red-tailed Hawk – 2, American
Kestrel – 1, American Coot – 500, Horned Lark – 12, Savannah Sparrow – 3

Cowan Lake: Canada Goose – 3, Redhead – 2, Bufflehead – 12, Common Loon -1,
Black Vulture – 3, Turkey Vulture – 6, American Coot – 30, Killdeer – 5,
Ring-billed Gull – 20

Caesar Creek: Common Loon – 6, Bonaparte’s Gull – 50 (most at the boat ramp
at the campgrounds), Ring-billed Gull - 30

-Mark Gilsdorf
Cincinnati