OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 14:10:17 -0800
I visited Evans L. and Pine L. in eastern Mahoning Co. today.  One of the good things about birding these lakes is that you can scope them right from the car and stay out of bitterly cold winds (and snow/rain too) if you want.  Hey, when I was younger I didn't seem to mind freezing my rear end off at spots like Avon Lake Power Plant but now I'm 50 and getting soft I guess........Evans L. highlights: 500 Canada geese, gadwalls, Am. wigeon, n. shovelers, buffleheads, c. goldeneye, 175 hooded mergansers, 80 ruddy ducks, c. loon, pied-billed grebes, great egret (late), bald eagle, Am. kestrel, and a killdeer.  The eagle (4th year bird I think) spent several minutes trying to kill a goose on the water by trying to drown it.  It even landed on the goose's back attempting to hold it under the water.  It was an amazing life or death struggle!!  The goose at times dove completely underwater, but always got it's head up briefly for a gulp of air.  It jabbed
 it's bill at the eagle in self-defense, but the eagle didn't use it's massive bill at all, instead relying on it's talons and sheer bulk.  In the end the goose survived and the eagle remained hungry.  Birding is NEVER boring if you watch behavior!  Highlights at Pine L. were:  4 canvasbacks, 2 redheads, ring-necked ducks, buffleheads, 85 hooded mergansers, 11 common mergansers, red-breasted merganser, 275 ruddy ducks, 3 c. loons, horned grebes, pied-billed grebes, double-crested cormorant, Am. coots, 3 Bonaparte's gulls, 15 herring gulls, and 4 snow buntings (at the south end).  There are many acres of cornstubble fields surrounding these two lakes, providing ample feeding areas for a variety of birds at this time of year.  No sign of any unusual geese yet, though.  Craig Holt, Lowellville