OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:00:03 -0500
Dear list,

Once again I humbly seek your collective wisdom.  As a couple of you already
know (and have generously shed light upon), I'm headed to Killdeer Plains on
Wed for the first time, and I'm hoping to benefit from the apparent
abundance of Short Eared Owls in our midst---the sightings keep on coming,
don't they?!  This would be a lifer for me.

My question is a simple one---I was planning to arrive just before dawn to
catch the owls in their early morning activities.  But I'm noticing that all
of the recent sightings on this list seem to have taken place closer to
dusk, usually around 5pm.  Am I more likely to observe these crepuscular
hunters at dusk than at dawn?  Or have folks had success in the morning
hours as well?

Thanks for any insight you may have to share!  I'm willing to rearrange my
plans in order to increase the odds of a sighting.

Best,
Noah