OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 18:13:03 -0700
I stopped at Sims Park in Euclid around 2:15 to 3:30pm this afternoon.  Strong NNW winds 17mph+ and large rolling waves @ 40 degrees.  Several hundred Red-breasted Mergansers and some were flying east, 5 Common Goldeneye females, 3 Ruddy Ducks, 1 Black Scoter female, 3 Scaup and others I couldn't make out.

Then stopped at Villa Angela/Wildwood from 3:50 to 5:30pm.  I had seen 3 or 4 Fox Sparrows on 11/3 late in the afternoon so today I tried to find them again in the entrance to the field area from the road.  The windy conditions made hearing difficult which is how I found them Thurs hearing them scuffing around the leaves like squirrels.  Today on my second pass after not seeing or hearing anything as they don't sing much in the fall I heard a loud noise similar to a Brown Thrasher like two stones being hit together.  I walked into the brushy area and they flew up to nearby trees and sat awhile til they were annoyed with me and flew away.  There were SIX FOX SPARROWS.  Other than that I mostly just saw Golden-crowned Kinglets, Black-capped Chickadees, 2 Winter Wrens and White-throated Sparrows.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/