OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:06:21 -0700
Today I checked Evans Lake and Pine Lake in eastern Mahoning Co.  It was my first visit there this fall, so I wasn't sure how many birds would be around.  Turned out to be well worth the short trip!  Evans L. featured 27 tundra swans (arrived about 11:00 AM), 18 n. shovelers, 60 hooded mergansers, 15 ruddy ducks, pied-billed grebes, double-crested cormorants, 165 Am. coots, 500 ring-billed gulls, ad. LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL (possibly the same one has appeared here in late fall for several years now), and 35 herring gulls.  This lake is relatively close to a large dump, and also has no hunting or boat traffic.  So it usually hosts numerous gulls before freeze-up.  Nearby Pine L. also has no boat traffic or hunting, and is often very good for waterfowl.  Highlights at Pine L. today were 10 gadwall, 30 ring-necked ducks, 30 lesser scaup, 6 buffleheads, hooded mergansers, 325 ruddy ducks, 7 common loons, 2 great blue herons, 50 Am. coots, 150
 ring-billed gulls, and a flock of 250 red-winged blackbirds.  Am. robins and growing numbers of Am. crows have been conspicuous in eastern Mahoning Co. lately.  Juncos are increasing too, but during the last week I've seen only one bird each (locally) of turkey vulture, golden-crowned kinglet, and cedar waxwing.  On 11/2 I saw a red-headed woodpecker at a usual place (a golf course adjacent to woods) in Coitsville Twp., the acorn crop is good this year so it may spend the winter.  Craig Holt, Lowellville, Mahoning Co.