OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:37:47 -0700
Emil Bacik and I, and Jerry Talkington for a bit, spen
Howdy all -

Emil Bacik and I, and Jerry Talkington for a bit, spent a most productive
morning at Conneaut, with a stop at Geneva SP on the way home.  It was a most
interesting day, as we drove through blizzards both to and from Conneaut, but
encountered no such extreme weather while birding.  Outstanding Nov.
shorebirding on the sandspit produced seven sp: Semipalmated Plover (2), Greater
Yellowlegs (6), Sanderling (2), White-rumped Sandpiper (3), Pectoral Sandpiper
(1), Dulin (23), and snipe (1).  Two Little Gulls - a first-yr and a 2nd-yr/ad
bird - passed over the harbor within a minute of each other heading west, not to
be seen again.  A ad. Lesser Black-backed Gull joined the throng on the beach
late in the morning, and flyby passerines throughout the day included Horned
Lark (15), Snow Bunting (75), and siskin (2).  There were 40 or so buntings
hanging on the public beach just to the west.

Mo and I stopped at the observation deck when leaving, and some songbird
activity on the brushy hillside caught our attention.  Screech-owling and
pishing ensued, and what to our surprise popped up but a Yellow Warbler!  It
worked it's way to within 15 feet or so and then dissapeared back into the
brambles, as I kicked myself for abandoning the camera in the car.  This bird
appeared to be an ad or young female.  Jerry refound the warbler about 30 min
later, and added to the day's Conneaut list a flyover dark-morph Rough-legged
Hawk.

We headed to Geneva SP on the way home, pulled into the swimming beach parking
lot and as luck would have it - a pair of Brant flew by literally hugging the
shoreline, wonderfully illuminated in the sun which had broken through those
ominous snow clouds.  They were simply gorgeous, and the closest flybys that I
have ever seen anywhere around here.  Also around Geneva were Red-headed
Woodpecker (2), and a lateish towhee.

Photos from today here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/

Good birding -