OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Brian Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:35:49 -0500
Hi Guys,

 We took a little trip to the Mansfield Memorial Museum yesterday, Saturday
Nov. 7, and were surprised to see how many bird mounts they have, including
an Ivory-billed Woodpecker! I never got a chance to ask where all the bird
mounts came from, but some of them are pretty old, I think. The museum was
originally opened sometime in the late 1800s, and was closed for a number of
years in the 20th century, and somewhat recently re-opened. There are lots
of interesting exhibits besides the bird mounts, including native American
artifacts, Civil War artifacts, and Civil War era textiles, including a suit
worn by Senator John Sherman, brother of General William Tecumseh Sherman.
John Sherman may be Mansfield's most famous native son. They also have the
largest and most comprehensive model airplane collection that I personally
have ever seen. The museum curator and the volunteers are very friendly and
knowledgeable. Admission is free, donations accepted, and hours are from
noon to 4pm Saturday and Sunday. Having said all that, they're only open one
more weekend, and then they'll be closed for the winter season.

Regards,

Brian Hart