OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:34:59 -0500
While birding several parks in south Franklin County, I stopped at Pickerington Ponds and found a small burst of late shorebirds at Ellis Pond.  The list included:

Kildeer - 10
Gr.Yellowlegs - 1
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER - 2
Dunlin - 2
Wilson's Snipe - 6

They're best seen by parking along the road west of the Wright Rd parking area and looking over the mudflats along the shore.  All of the birds were actively feeding, either in the water or within 1 meter of the shore.

I also stopped at Teal Pond, but it has shrunk to a small size and had little: a few more Kildeer and Snipe, as well as a flock of 20 Ring-billed Gulls.

An earlier series of stops at 3-Creeks Park produced little for shorebirds, but there were lots of late arrivals along the Multi-use path, especially around the Confluence area.  The notables included:

Green-winged Teal - small flocks at Turtle Pond and the Borrow Pits
Gulls - 80+ Ring-bills and 7 Herring were at the Borrow Pits adjacent to I-270
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 soaring over the Confluence area
Red-br.Nuthatch - 1 in the pines at the Confluence area
Cedar Waxwings - 120+ in flocks scattered along the trail where there was honeysuckle
Tree Sparrows - 2 in the weedfields around the Borrow Pits
Fox Sparrow - 1 where the powerlines cross the Multi-use Path
Purple Finch - 1 flyover at the Confluence area