OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 06:41:14 -0800
I spent several hours birding at Mosquito L/WA yesterday afternoon (11/8).  Waterbirds were more spread out over the entire lake than previously.  Shorebirds were found at both the NW shore of the main lake and also at WA ponds.  Gull numbers were up.  Raptors were scarce, though.  Here's the highlights: 40 gadwalls, hundreds of mallards, 20 Am. black ducks, n. pintail, 6 n. shovelers, 55 green-winged teal, 3 c. goldeneyes, ruddy duck, 2 c. loons, 3 pied-billed grebes, double-crested cormorant, only 1 great blue heron, 3 imm. n. harriers, red-tailed hawk, 150 Am. coots, 8 killdeers, 5 greater yellowlegs, 1 lesser yellowlegs, 8 pectoral sandpipers, 13 dunlins, 20 Wilson's snipes, 300+ Bonaparte's gulls, 1000+ ring-billed gulls, 5 herring gulls, e. bluebirds, Am. tree sparrow, and fox sparrow.  Craig Holt, Lowellville