OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Sandy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:02:44 -0800
Hi All-

There was a great show on PBS - Nature called "Braving Iraq" dealing with the loss of wetlands and marshes that were drained by Saddam Hussein. Dr. Azzam Alwash was featured in the show (director of Nature Iraq).  If you recall-he was our keynote speaker back in February for the Waterfowl Symposium in Columbus.  The show highlighted the bird migration that is now happening again since they have begun re-flooding the area.  A great scene showed them searching for Marbled Teals that had been missing from the area for 2 decades.  They located over 40,000!!  It was wonderful to hear Dr Alwash's excitement at seeing the birds after their long absence.
Watch it if you get a chance--
Good birding

Sandy Brown
Akron OH