OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:54:22 -0500
Greetings from Englewood,

This past spring and summer we entered very few postings from  Englewood
Metropark (referred to as the Englewood Metropark Desert).  Many  of you have
inquired as to what happened to all the water at Englewood Metropark  and,
therefore, all the great shorebird sightings.  Jim Gardiner (park  manager)
told us this morning that work to improve water flow through the park  has
been completed and water is now being pumped in at the rate of 148,000
gallons an hour.  This pumping will continue for the next 2 weeks and will
provide 8 to 10 inches of water on the "lake" during the winter.  When  flooding
occurs from winter runoff and spring rains, the water level should  increase
to 3 to 4 feet.  The park will also be able to control the water  level to
encourage shorebirds at the proper time of year.  It's been a long  and
sometimes discouraging process; but, hopefully, we'll have better  shorebirding
reports in the future.  Of course, the warbler and  most of the usual stuff
sightings  were great as always.  As many of you know, we've had some great
shorebird  species show up at Englewood in past years and hope to continue
doing  so again.

AMOTUS ! ! !

Happy birding,
Ed and Bev Neubauer