OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:19:11 -0500
Calling all birders,

The third annual Rusty Blackbird Hotspot Blitz is a GO.
January 29 through February 13 will be the official count period. Save those
dates! eBird will take your detailed hotspot blitz data. We'll provide more
detail about the event soon. Begin searching for Rusty Blackbird hotspots
right away: May as well start entering data into eBird right away, too--all
your data. Be a citizen science contributor.

Rusty's are declining rapidly. They are uncommon boreal forest breeders.
They often forage the feathered-edge of woodland wetlands during migration
and on wintering grounds. They are often found in mixed-blackbird flocks,
too. Often, a small flock of rusty's will segregate from a much larger flock
of mixed-blackbirds as the flock settles in around a wooded wetland or
woodland-edged corn stubble. Look for them in a small group in a tree-top,
all facing the same direction, bills lifted. These are jaunty fellows,
hansom and robust. They are "champion leaf-flippers" says Russ Greenburg of
the International Rusty Blackbird Technical Working Group, and Blitz
coordinator. They look for fat and protein in the form of wetlands
invertebrates under leaves and debris. Imagine how many there must have been
in our state before 95% of Ohio's wetlands were drained. What a shame, to
see them decline and not fully understand why so we can try to help. Your
help is needed for the Blitz to shine a light on a little bit of the
unknown.

Think about it: Isn't citizen science a civic duty for those of us who enjoy
the resource?

Tom Bain, OOS
Ohio Blitz Coordinator

BTW, the Audubon Christmas Bird Count season is right around the corner.
Volunteer for a nearby circle, today. More on that later.